Re: RPC or TCP/IP?

Arsalan Zaidi wrote:

> Is there any compelling reason to use RPC's instead of TCP/IP
> directly? Both NFS and CODA use RPCs.
>
> ... why can't I sent the command over as plain text and have it
> interpreteded and executed on the server? e.g. FTP ...

Maybe transparency maintenance is the issue. Say when you've mounted
a NFS volume, you just chdir to that directory and say "ls". It
really doesn't matter what listing you see is on local machine or on
a remote one. But in case of FTP (as in your example) you have to
be aware of the fact `I am now on a remote machine'.