Re: Magic Garden: Explained

    Arun> Vahalia's book focusses on concepts, rather than the
    Arun> code. In fact, it has almost zero code. It also is a
    Arun> comparision between SVR4, Solaris, Mach and BSD. Again, I'd
    Arun> consider Vahalia's book as a book for advanced audience
    Arun> which is already familiar with how kernels are written.

Well, I am basically interested in the concept rather than the code. I
would like to know the theoritical ascpects of UNIX . SOmething like
UNIX inside out. I am not looking for code, but something like the
undocumented UNIX sorta thing, where I can get to know all the minute
details of a UNIX system both from a user space view and a kernel
space view. Everything and anything about UNIX.

    Arun> If you're comfortable with undergrad level OS stuff
    Arun> (Peterson etc), then I'd highly recommend Kirk McKusick's
    Arun> 4.4 BSD book.

Comfortable ? I wouldn't mind starting from the basic, but it should
go on to deal with advanced audience. I haven't seen Magic Garden, but
I was suggested that book by my mentor,so I decided to try it. I
didn't know it was some kind of a code book, in which I don't I want
Magic Garden.

    Arun> I own all of these books and if I were to read them again,
    Arun> I'd read them as:

    Arun> 1. Undergrad OS text 2. 4.4 BSD book 3. Uresh Vahalia's book

Never heard about peterson, but maybe then you could send me a copy of
that book if you say it is good.
I hope I was clear in what I want :-)
Bye
Thanks
Regards
        - Khader
--
Linux poses a real challenge for those with a taste for late-night
hacking (and/or conversations with God).

Syed Khader Vali (Siddiq)                     (sid at sidcarter.com)
Debian GNU/Linux (Woody)                    http://www.sidcarter.com