Re:

This is where exactly even I started just 2 yrs back.
First step would be to read thro' UNIX N/w Programming book
by Richard Stevens. Networking fundamentals, OS fundamentals
and Device Driver writing all will help. UNIX OS design by
Maurice J Bach is good. Also there's some book called 'Magic
Garden'(I don't know more details on this). There's a book
by Alessandro Rubini on Device Driver writing.

Good luck!!