File path

Hello!
How can I find the path of a file (at runtime) which has been opened by some X application? I read the man pages of 'ps' and 'top'. Since they give the command name of a process, I am able to obtain the path of a file only when that file has been opened (by clicking it). When the application has been opened alone, and then a file loaded by it, I cannot get the path of the loaded file.

Specifically, I need the path of the file whose name *appears in the caption of that window*. Is there a system command or some C or Xlib function for this?

Please shed some light.
- Karthika

http://bol.rediff.com