C in linux - bios calls, graphics

Hi!
i know this has been going on recently but tell me .. tools like
setup in linux, what languages are they developed in?

i want the basic functionality of graphics.h in dos. curses is clumsy, imho.
And i don't fully understand if vga.h is supposed to do the trick. if yes, then
please guide me to some tutorial/how-to/faq/etc on the web. I have the sgva
documentation but it is cryptic.

Also, int86() in dos... these are bios calls i guess.. i did some readying up
and i could find this. Please help with this too.
<a tutorial, a link to someplace, will be nice. >

thanks
sukrit