Client-Server

Hello all,
     I have got small problem. I have two programs , one is a client
and the other is a server. All that i need to do i send a word from
the client to the server. Now the server program which is listening
at the socket, reads that word. Till this point the execution is
perfect. Next the server will have to open a file check if that word
exists, if so send its meaning back to the client.But when the
control comes to the open statement in the server program it skips
everything in that and control goes back to the client.
Initially I am running the server in the background. and then running
the client program. Could anyone out there help me out with this
problem.

TIA
Regards,
Mani