Re:

Sorry for very delayed reply- however, its good if this mail can be of some use
:-)

Allessandro Rubini's "Writing Linux Device Drivers" gives an example "snull"
n/w i/f driver which does not require any special h/w. Well, its nothing more
than a loopback driver. Maybe, you can explore it further.

--Satheesh