Capturing OOPS through the serial port

Hi all,

I am trying to capture OOPS through the serial port.

/usr/src/linux/Documentation/serial-console.txt  tells me that
"""
You can specify multiple console= options on the kernel command line.
Output will appear on all of them. The last device will be used when
you open /dev/console. So, for example:

        console=ttyS1,9600 console=tty0
"""

So I am trying to specify Serial port /dev/ttyS0 as another console, and
the OOPS message should be redirected to that too.

So I took the following steps:

1) Booted Linux with
console=ttyS0,9600 console=tty0
at the LILO prompt

2) Put a LOOPBACK connector(tested it also... its working fine) on
Serial Port ttyS0

3) Opened up 2 Xterm sessions simultaneously

4) cat /dev/ttyS0 in Xterm 1

5) Generated OOPS by dereferencing a NULL pointer through a Kernel
module in Xterm 2

6) Looking at Xterm 1 hoping in vain to see the OOPS coming there

OOPS is being Generated as I can see it using `dmesg`

Before generating the OOPS i did this experiment:

In Xterm 2, I did
# echo Yahoo >/dev/ttyS0

I see the messgae coming in Xterm 1 where I've done a
# cat /dev/ttyS0

(the Yahoo comes faithfully on Xterm 1, but comes after exponentially
rising NEWLINES repetitively)

But once the OOPS has been generated, this experiment fails! 2

Please give me some Enlightenment!
What can I be doing wrong?
Any more suggestions as to how I can capture OOPS through the Serial
port are welcome.

Thanks
Rohit

       R o h i t   R o m e h a r s h a n   S i n g h
                    http://www.rohit.cx
     WORK:rohitsingh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx PLAY:rohit@xxxxxxxx