Re: [LI] Questions on mail server setup

Differentiated Software Solutions Pvt. Ltd. forced the electrons to say:
> Now again I'm stuck.
> I have setup my my machine as myhost.com
> In my email client the pop and SMTP servers are myhost.com.
> I sent a mail to myself from the email client it did not get delivered.

You should give some more info here.

What do you mean by your email client? Is it the same linux machine on which
sendmail is running, or another machine which is your desktop workstation? How
is your MUA interacting with sendmail? Is it like netscape, connecting to the
SMTP port and talking SMTP? Or like mutt, invoking sendmail with a few flags?

If it is connecting to the SMTP port, then, you have to edit your sendmail.cw
file and add all names for your mail server there. Like

mailserver.myhost.com
myhost.com
smtpserver.myhost.com

and so on. You also need to have the feature use_cw_file enabled, and define
confCWFILE as the path to your cw file. Read the README file in your sendmail
configuration directory on how to do this.

On the other hand, if it invokes sendmail directly, then you need to set
your domain name as a resolvable MX record in your MUA configuration,
and invoke sendmail as sendmail -oem -oi

> After reading logs (/var/logs/maillog) I figured that sendmail received the
> message but could not deliver. I tried sendmail -q -v. It listed all
> messages in the queue and said no name found for this recepient. It deffered
> it in the queue.
> Now what do I do ??

This is probably because the recipient domain does not have an MX record.

If you sent a mail to abc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, then try the following:

nslookup -q=mx somedomain.com

and see what comes up.

If somedomain.com is the same as yourdomain, then you will probably have to
tweak with the named configuration.

> Further I started setting up the DNS server.
> I have created named.myhost.com.forward and reverse and then restarted the
> named server. If I try pinging to one of the workstations using the alias
> name in .forward file, it says host unreacheable. If I use IP address ping
> goes thru'.

OK. I assume you have setup the correct paths to these .forward and .reverse
files in /etc/named.conf. Setup your nameserver as the machine on DNS is
running in /etc/resolv.conf. Then check /etc/nsswitch.conf. Look for the line
that starts with:

hosts:

and change it to

hosts: dns files

Now do an nslookup for another machine with a DNS record. If nothing comes up,
then you have a misconfigured DNS server.

BTW, have you setup the nameserver in your Windows clients? It is usually
found in Network Neighbourhood->TCP/IP->Properties->DNS Server

> I can send you the forward, reverse and named.boot file. I feel I've must
> have made some straight forward goof.

Please do so, in a private email. I will try to check things out. Also
/etc/named.conf.

Binand

--
main(int c,char **v){while(!fork()){strcpy(v[0],tmpnam(0));sleep(1);}}
A program that changes its name and pid every second.