Re: [LI] Return-Path in mutt composed mail.

Sorry Khader - I think you've missed something here.

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, thus spake Syed Khader Vali:

> > (Deferred: Connection refused by mail.lists.linux-india.org.) >
> linux-india@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This just means that mail.lists.linux-india.org was down for a
while.  That was a temporary bounce which I got too.

> > HMessage-ID: <20000129081839.A483@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> See this
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Now gautam.vsnl.net.in does not resolve to an ip !!
> right ?? so, mail.lists.linux-india.org refuses to take your mail when
> it sees that

My dear chap, I don't think LI will try resolving the Message ID.  What
any MTA checks for is the Received from: and From: headers.  A box can
helo as whatever it wants.

> Because your mail server or whatever is trying to shake hands as
> gautam.vsnl.net.in

Sorry - the HELO string is immaterial - and is generally what provides the
message id, with Outlook Express etc - look at the @localhost message ids
you get all over the place as example.  So, for example my win95 box would
produce

Received from suresh ([203.47.44.2]) by 202.54.30.2
.... etc etc.

and

Message Id:<some_random_string_usually_timestamp@suresh>

> /etc/mail/sendmail.cf to DJsome FQDN and restart sendmail.

Unnecessary - set sendmail to send through your vsnl smtp server (DS
your.vsnl.smtp.server) and that's enough.

> Remember this is for sendmail, it may depend on your mail
>  server.

The principle remains the same - and message ids don't count in resolving
mail.  It only serves for your inbox to have something unique in each
mail.

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian     | President, CAUCE India
r.suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   | suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx