Re: [LI] Changing the From: field.

Hi,

On 28 Jan 2000, Dr. Sharukh K. R. Pavri. wrote:

> > > This may be silly, but maybe you could filter your mail based on the
> > > To: field  into your /[Mm]ail/ folder. So you don't need 6 logins for 6
> > > pop accounts.
>
> Give me a little more detail on that please. Will I have to create the new
> folders under /mail ?
>
> Sharukh.

What do you use to filter? Pine or procmail? read procmail, procmailrc,
procmailex manpages. Or simply use pine to filter.  A mail folder is *not*
a folder actually(except in the mh mailbox format).  It is just a file
which has many messages appended. So "mail folders" are actually files
inside  your ~/mail folder.

When you use Pine to filter, simply set the to: or cc: field , not both (
even  better, the participant field which is = to or cc ) to
spavri@xxxxxxxxx,  specify the folder in the option below as ~/mail/yahoo
and  watch Pine do it's stuff. Repeat for all your possible accounts.

Beware:
I faced a problem saving messages if the source mail folder option is set
to  "any". The mail would not get saved and would be marked deleted in the
original folder. Mark the current folder as specific and give the name as
INBOX. You can also give multiple mailbox names in the move-to field.

eg: Source :INBOX
    Action: moveto: ~/mail/yahoo,~/mail/yahoo-backup

    so all your messages sent to the yahoo account, will be saved in both
folders.

Procmail is pretty bewildering to begin with( though easy once you get
used to it).

If procmail is too confusing, maybe you could use maildrop( search on
freshmeat ).  It's got the same functionality, but more
high-level-language-like features like if-else.

HTH
Gautam