[LI] RE: Linux India Digest V1 #545

Date: 27 Jan 2000 21:47:57 -0800
From: Vimal Mathew <vml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LI] The 3dimage975 card headaches

>>I have configured about 4 or 5 systems with the Trident 3dImage975 video
card and have been >>>>successful in a text-book install only on one.
I use the same card (AGP one), and I couldn't configure it Right from RH5.2
to 6.1 with xconfigurator. With XF86Setup, things were very different. After
RH setup(6.1) the card is successfully probed and the default(recomended)
resolution/color depth is given as 1024x728 32bpp. This never worked, even
after giving the vsync/hsync & refresh rates of my monitor(LG studio works
520si, 15"). No matter whatever resolution/color depth I select the monitor
just went blank.
XF86Setup was a breeze, and it was smooth. Not only did it work like it said
it would, I could afford to ignore things like RamDAC settings etc I am now
getting higher resolution than I get in Windowz.
Lets admit, xconfigurator sucks. XF86Setup on the other hand is something
like configuring X with X!
If xconfigurator vs. XF86Setup were to be used as an analogue to the
Sendmail vs. Qmail thing, then xconfigurator would be similar to sendmail.
:)

MANI

Visit http://www.niit.com for eCommerce Solutions.