Re: [LI] Kernel versions and ext2 filesystems

On Tue, Jan 25, 2000 at 10:37:29PM +0530, Mahendra M wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I have a very crude doubt-
> Does the filesystem handling change with a new kernel.
> I have a Debian installation - kernel 2.0.x    <--
> and RHL - kernel 2.2.x

I've seen Linux 2.2.x and 2.0.x co-exist on the same filesystem. So
what you describe should not happen in theory.

In general, changing the fs format on disk is a very rare event and
backward compatibility is almost never broken, but there are
instances of divergent filesystems - variants of ufs (UNIX fs)
for example.

	-Arun