[LI] Urgent solution required

Hello Everybody,

 hi! I have some problem with the UNIX server at my office. Initially, it
showed "devhd full" and that time the server was shut down. When we put the
server up next morning, it did not allow us to login, so we tried to remove
certain files from the server by choosing the option of system maintenace at
the time of booting. When server was restarted and we try to login either on
the console or from the network, we are getting the message as :
                    "No utmp entry : try to execute "LOGIN" from lowest 'sh'
"
If we give wrong login/password, it shows the message as "login incorrect".
Please do suggest the solution to the above problem. We  tried  these ways to
solve the problem but were unsuccessful.

a) scoadmin-> S/W Manager -> UNIX operating system -> Verify all the operating
system files ->Fix ing the discrepancies.
b) created a new user and tried to login as new user then also the same
error.
i.e   "No utmp entry : try to execute "LOGIN" from lowest 'sh' "

The system gets booted normally and all the services are also started and then
the login prompt is also invoked. when we give the username and password it
accepts that and checks for the validity , but if valid it gives the above
error statement. but if we run the system in single user mode , it works and
works well. so  if any configuration or settings are to be changed to come out
of these problem, help us out.

Waiting for an early reply,

Shailesh