Re: [LI] X - Configuration

Rohit wrote:

> What are the hyphens and asterisks against an option supposed to mean.

The ones that go like this "(**) SVGA: blah blah blah" are options which
have been explicitly defined in XF86Config, these are not probed during
X start up.

And the ones that go "(--) SVGA: blah blah blah" are probed values or
auto detected during start up.

I prefer hard coded values for the various X options as *i* believe it
speeds up the start up as no time is wasted on probing for values.

Can i have a conformation on this point???

> Which one of these means [being used] and what means [discarded] ?

It is the mode lines that are being discarded or being used. This is
directly dependent on the hsync and vsync values which u have specified
for the monitor during X's configuration. The video card usually
supports higher refresh rates and resolutions than what the monitor can
support. If a higher refresh rate/resolution is used with a monitor
which cannot handle the high frequencies generated, u can fry up ur
monitor by overclocking it's circuits!!! I learnt it the hard way :(

In order to avoid such disasters, the X server discards all mode lines
which cannot be handled by the monitor on start up itself and only sane
values are used.

Check out XFree86-Video-Timings-HOWTO.html for more info.

> I wonder... is this list produced exhaustive and shows the selected/used
> options by checking the buttons?

I think u have an idea now about the "buttons". How to hardwire the
values??? It is X server dependent. Read the man page for the concerned
X server.

man XF86Config
man XF86_SVGA (or whatever)
man X

> Or does it show only what is relevant to your current server and card? Do clarify.

The X server u are using is specific to the card on ur machine. Hence,
it will show only info related to the specific card on the machine.

The SVGA X server has a hard time auto detecting SiS chipsets. In such
situations we use the option :
Chipset	  "sis86xx"

to bypass the autod etection. Some times the VRAM is also not detected!
Here we use the option:
VideoRam   xxxx

HtH,
-- Shanu
<Just back from a virtual penance in the Himalayas for losing diplomacy>