Re: [LI] NIIT Goes Linux

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, thus spake Raj Mathur:

> Not wanting to be pro- or anti-NIIT (after all, I /did/ learn all
> about computers from that 5-week course I did there in 1982, not to

Errr.... NIIT (and Aptech) have changed for the worse ~after~ the mid
1990s.  Till then, they had pretty decent C, Unix etc courses. We can
blame M$ etc for that - what they (and Aptech) did was to -

1. Cut down all existing subjects to the bone (in C, Aptech stops far
short of pointers)

2. Introduce each new buzzword with a short, stripped down instruction
manual (more like an instruction booklet)

This is basically so they can pack more buzzwords into the same course
duration.  Haste can be a bit embarassing - for example when Aptech went
goofy about a frontend called Oracle Power Objects (a short lived VB
clone) and the very next semester, junked it and shifted to VB.

> mention my job stint there :-) However, the interesting thing about
> NIIT's new GNIIT (or whatever) course is that Linux will be the first
> OS that the student will learn!  This IMHO is a very significant step

The implementation is a bit flawed imho - as is the price. That's the main
beef I've got with NIIT and Aptech, plus the fact that most of the people
joining those places end up as secretaries / data entry operators /
marketing people.

> 1000's of GNIIT's soon to be coming out of the factory equating
> operating systems with Linux, and believing that Winduhs is some sort
> of add-on module for those who can't type.

Time will tell, though from three to four years of observing these two
(NIIT and Aptech) at first hand, I've learnt to take their statements with
a few truckloads of salt.

adios
--s

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian     | President, CAUCE India
r.suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   | suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx