[LI] Linux+Win95

> I used to duel boot into Win 95 and Linux (6.1) on a 2.1 GB hard disk.
> However, when I upgraded to a 4.3 GB hard disk, I copied the windows
> part and reinstalled Linux (with LILO).  Linux went on to work perefctly
> fine, but I'm stuck with Win 95. This thing does not boot from the LILO
> prompt, though LILO displays the two labels (when I press TAB), onw
> "dos" and other "linux". I tried to reinstall Windows by using a boot
> disk but Windows setup too gets stuck after some inital check up.
> However I can access the C: from Linux and copy files etc. etc.  Please
> guide, what to do.
>
> Madhurjya P. Bora
>
> What do you mean when you say "copied" the Windows part ? Copy as in
> copy *.*. ?? That will not properly transfer the system files. You will
> have to reinstall windows and all other installable software like apps eg
> Word(less), PowerPoint(not taken) and
> Access(denied-because-you-did-not-pay-the-license-fee-of-$150
> - -for-THIS-machine-although-you-spent-your-lives-savings-to-buy-the-stuff)
> You can only copy certain files directly, like .jpg, ,txt.. basically
> data files.
> CAVEAT:Obviously, there are workarounds to what has been stated so don't
> take me to literally.

After changing the hard disk, I have formatted it  and copied the backup files of the
Win95 partition of the previous disk, to the primary partition, without installing the
windows, hoping to be doing it later. Then I added the Linux partition and installed
Redhat 6.1. After installing linux, I tried to install Windows, which I could not do. The
Windows partition is the primary one and linux exists in the extended dos partition. My
filesystem is FAT 16.

Madhurjya

> To access you windows partition:
> Log in as root (iun Linux)
> Modify the file /etc/fstab.. add the line
>
> /dev/hda1               /c     vfat    defaults  0 0
>
> where /dev/hda1 is the name of the partitionin which Win is loaded
>
> #mount /c
> #mkdir /c
> #ls -l /c
>
> If you can see the dir listings, try out usual Unix commands like cp, mv
> etc.
>
> Get back to the list in case of probs
> Regards
> Shourya

I can access the Windows partition from linux. There is absolutely no problem with that.
I can use cp, mv, etc. from linux on Windows partition. The only problem is that I can
not get LILO to boot to Windows or even get Windows reinstalled!

Madhurjya