[LI] Still no sound

I tried the list's suggestions but still no sound
Following your directions, I changed runlevel to 3, and ran sndconfig
without X
Still no luck.

As Aditya suggested, I ran the commands for pnpdumpout, and it *is listing
the card
Given below is a part of the output-->
-------------
Trying port address 0203
# Trying port address 020b
# Board 1 has serial identifier b7 00 00 00 03 20 23 54 07

# (DEBUG)
(READPORT 0x020b)
(ISOLATE PRESERVE)
(IDENTIFY *)
(VERBOSITY 2)
(CONFLICT (IO FATAL)(IRQ FATAL)(DMA FATAL)(MEM FATAL)) # or WARNING
***<-----this looks interesting***

# Card 1: (serial identifier b7 00 00 00 03 20 23 54 07)
# Vendor Id AZT2320, Serial Number 3, checksum 0xB7.
# Version 1.0, Vendor version 0.2
# ANSI string -->AZT2320 PnP SOUND DEVICE<--
etc.....
---------------------------------
Is the *Warning* significant?
Next it asks to identify setting out of multiple choice entries
Sample---->
---------------------------------
Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be changed
if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy

(CONFIGURE AZT2320/3 (LD 0
#     ANSI string -->IDE CDROM<--

# Multiple choice time, choose one only !

#     Start dependent functions: priority preferred
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x01e8
#             Maximum IO base address 0x01e8
#             IO base alignment 8 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 0 (SIZE 8) (BASE 0x01e8) (CHECK))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x03ee
#             Maximum IO base address 0x03ee
#
.......and so on for around 10 screenfulls or more
--------
The thing is that I never get to a stage where I have to give any IRQ or DMA
settings..
Sndconfig says..
>PnP probe results
>A PnP sound card was found in your system
>The details are:
>Model: AXT2320 PnP Sound Device
It shows an OK button and on pressing it,sndconfig looses interest
On pressing the enter key, the blue window is eaten up line by line by black
display, without the shell prompt
On hitting Ctrl X, the message displayed is....>
[2]+  Stopped           sndconfig
#

It seems that sndconfig has not totally configured the card but is getting
stuck halfway for some reason.
But since this is the first time I am running sndconfig in my life, maybe
this is perfectly normal behaviour!?

Is it possible for me to enter the settings in some config file?

I am not even contemplating recompiling the kernel. One of you guys(there
have to be some girls!!) will have to do it for me!
BTW this list sure moves fast!!
Sorry for the bandwidth, but maybe it will payback

Thanks all the same
Manish

Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 18:15:15 +0530
From: "Aditya Deshpande" <adityad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [LI] Sound Advice

The correct way of configuring you sound card would be to exit X -Windows
into text mode( also you have to be logged in as root.)

then run sndconfig.

type
#pnpdump > $HOME/pnpdumpout
#cat $HOME/pnpdumpout | more

does this list your card if it is being detected then your card would be
listed.

Also are you giving the correct IRQ and DMA settings

Regards
Aditya
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 23:06:39 +0530
From: "Manish Joshi" <joshi3d@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LI] Sound Advice

......I have installed RH6.1 on my P200 MMX, coexisting with Win, using
LILO at boot.
I have an AZTEC 2320 PnP sndcard.
The problem is that although I get sound in Win, there is none in Linux. The
applications say -'you must compile sound support into the kernel'. I have
already enabled sound support in the Gnome config.
Although I have run sndconfig as root, it behaved strangly . After running
it, it detects the card correctly, gives the name, and prompts for OK. After
that it just *hangs*. A couple of times, I was forced to *reboot*. Another
time it just ended as if nothing had happened. The sound did not come on.
Manish Joshi