Re: [LI] root access from old sendmail boxes

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, thus spake Manoj Victor Mathew:

> > When someone like poor old me stands out yelling about "security holes",
> > then there's a general feeling that I'm crying wolf.

> But what I /meant/ was
> Mr. Suresh's detailed account on the Sendmail bug has enabled me to

  ^^^^^ Hey, why the sudden formality?  Drop the Mr, Mister ;)

> know how that specific bug can give r00t. Thanks Suresh!

You try it out on anything other than a box you control, it's YOUR ass
(besides being highly abusive and illegal - you could be liable to
prosecution in several US states - telnet to hobbiton.org for a warning
against unauthorized access, which mentions one such law)

I recommend that you try it on old unix boxes in your lan - there should
be a few old redhat / slak boxen around, surely - even redhat 5.0 will do.

> I am not a network administrator, and hence have no need to be aware
> of all possible bugs. I read FYIs posted by Raju, but do not bother to

There ~are~ others who do - those who run servers connected 24X7 to the
Net.  One of the members of another list am on has a sigquote which reads
somewhat like

"Being a unix administrator is somewhat like being an assistant at a
biological warfare lab.  Only, no bottle is labeled ....." (I'll get you
the full - rather long - quote soon)

> would not have known those 'details', but I still would not have
> searched the net for it. Simply because I have no need for Sendmail

This is meant as a FYI.  You don't need them, but if say your college
network gets broken into by a hacker or spammer, you know what to do.
Trace the offender and report him to his ISP - and watch the thanks come
in when you tell a harassed sysad that the guy who screwed his happiness
has been thrown off his ISP (and perhaps fined heavily)

> I have /no/ reasons to not believe Suresh; President, CAUCE India. And I
> do read his posts :-)

I have every reason to believe Manoj Victor Mathew, and I do read his
posts :-)

> 'Believe' was not the right word. I guess need to be more careful from
> now on.

Hey relax - why get all that serious about it?  If you ~do~ want to come
over all serious, just do me a favor.  If you know a friend has a (24*7
online) server running old *nix, tell him to upgrade.

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian     | President, CAUCE India
r.suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   | suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx