Re: [LI] sendmail and Ishmail, difference between IMAP,POP3,SMTP

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, thus spake Rajesh Fowkar:

> From yesterday I have started using *Ishmail* Email client. It uses
> sendmail for mail delivery. It has a very nice user interface and easy
> to use. However you cannot directly

Fine, so set the sender domain or whatever in the mail settings.  Almost
all mail clients can be configured to set the sender envelope to something
different.

For example, in Netscape / KMail you have a menu for filling in the from,
to etc settings. In PINE, you can set sender domain, in Mutt, .muttrc

RTFM re this ishmail and see - that's the first thing the author will
describe.

> address, I am *sorry* for that. How Should I tell sendmail to put
> rfowkar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx as from address?

You'll tell your mail client to send this way.  Or as mutt does -

my_hdr From: r.suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Suresh Ramasubramanian)
set sendmail="/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -oi -oem -f r.suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

If not, I'd be sending mails as suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - which does not
exist outside my box, so all replies to this would bounce.

> Can anybody enlighten me on the differences between IMAP, POP3 and
> SMTP.

IMAP - Internet Message Access (?) Protocol

All mails stay on the server, and you can read them directly on the
server, sort mail into folders on the server and then download only what
you want to download.  So, this is good if you are travelling.  Similar
case with Lotus Notes (though the protocols are different IIRC)

POP3 - Post Office Protocol.  The server is polled and all mails
downloaded to your local drive.

Both the above are for receiving mails.

SMTP - Simple Mail Transfer Protocol - Used to SEND mails :)

That's the basic - see manpages for more info. Or http://www.sendmail.org
and http://www.local.net/~jgo (Joshua Go's Linux Guide) should help.

hth

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian     | President, CAUCE India
r.suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   | suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx