Re: [LI] (Repost) DNS : Logical query

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Milind Lele wrote:

> > Can a registered domain have both real Internet addresses and private
> > addresses? Or rather, can the same zone have both of them?

# nslookup
Default Server:  cix.exocore.com
Address:  192.168.1.100

> www.exocore.com
Server:  cix.exocore.com
Address:  192.168.1.100

Name:    www.exocore.com
Address:  205.181.128.228   <<<<<<

> monster.exocore.com
Server:  cix.exocore.com
Address:  192.168.1.100

Name:    monster.exocore.com
Address:  192.168.1.1       <<<<<<

The answer is - an internal DNS can do that. An external DNS could do it,
but it would be bad manners to map hosts that cannot be reached from the
outside anyway.

> > What is the right way to configure a DNS when the same server is supposed
> > to resolve the real Internet addresses as well as local private addresses?

I run two DNSs - one for internal and one for external addresses - on
difference servers.

Atul