Re: [LI] ilug-cochin minutes for Jan 2000

Moinak Ghosh's post is an ego support for another post:

> Very very true ... religious arguments within the Linux community is not going to
> help at all.

How not ??

Same argument propounded and put forward by Red Hat Linux when giving a
reason not to join the
Linux World Conference & Expo which is due next month.  What are they
shirking away from ??

> Red Hat, the leader in Linux market share, has declined to participate. "We think this
> distribution vs.distribution showdown format is counter-productive  to the Linux community,
> " a spokesperson says.  "Instead of clarifying anything, it will only serve to confuse."

We  have had got similar justifications in the past from very senior,
knowledgeable persons
on this list. It seems that the Linux community will get fragmented.  Or
am I blinded by FUD ?

> Bruce Perens, an open source software pioneer and president of Linux Capital Group in
> Berkeley, Calif., says that not all Linux packages are entirely open source. He'd like to
> hear the vendors explain what is and what isn't open source in their distributions.
> He'd also like to hear the vendors comment on how they are giving back to the open source
> community. As an example, he points to VA Linux providing Web hosting for open source
> projects.

Bruce Perens is one of the founders' of Debian GNU/Linux. Someone is
likely to say now,
"Do not listen to him".

> Bill Claybrook, a research director at Aberdeen Group in Boston, says it will be interesting
> to hear how the companies plan to encourage independent software vendors to port their
> applications to Linux.  "How will the Linux distributors work with the independent software
> vendors to provide them with a more suitable release cycle?" Claybrook asks. He says that
> new releases of Linux are issued much more frequently than new releases of most other
> operating systems, making it challenging for third-party developers to keep pace.

Quite true.  Red Hat Linux 6.0 and in no time we have 6.1. Our own PC
Quest brought out
Red Hat 6.0 and 6.1 within a span of less than 6 months.  Do we want
these kind of
release cycles ??  Does this not reek of one upmanship ?  For
what....pure commercial
interest and not out of love/respect for the GNU/Linux community.  Love
for the crisp
GREENBACKS ;-))

ragOO, VU2RGU.
ILUG-Cochin at http://www.netshooter.com/ilug-cochin/
Keeping the Air-Waves FREE.....Amateur Radio
Keeping the W W W     FREE..Debian GNU/Linux