RE: [LI] problem with accessing network.

Hi VIBHU RISHI,
  I think when use telnet first it searches the host name /etc/hosts & if it is available there then it sees in hosts.allow.
So i think all hosts name should be added in these files.
If i am wrong correct me....
                   Regards,
                       Arun.K.Desai.

>	What I want is that any machine in my office ( say that there are 150
>machines ) should be able to telnet to the server, whatever be their IP
>addresses. are you saying that I will have to add all 150 these IPs ?
>	please clarify.
>	As of now , any machine with *.*.29.* can telnet to the machine , without
>my having to edit any of the files. However, any other machine (*.*.28.*
>etc. ) is not able to telnet.
>	ciao
>		Vibhu..
>

>$      There are certain files in the /etc directory
>$
>$  host.conf
>$  hosts
>$  hosts.allow
>$  hosts.deny
>$  hosts.equiv
>$  hosts.lpd
>$
>$  The problem could be solved by listing the IP Address in hosts.allow file
>$  even though this is required for inetd services.
>$      This is because telnetd is itself invoked by inetd.
>$       If you want to log in as a root by telnetting then you can
>$  give the tty
>$  number in /etc/securetty but there is a possible security hazard here.
>$
>$      Also an entry for remote telnet must be in your /etc/services file.
>$  HTH
>$
>$  regards
>$  Aditya
>$

>to avoid repetition and save bandwidth.

LYCOShop. Thousands of products!  One location!
http://shop.lycos.com/