[LI] Re: Linux India Digest V1 #514

FIX FOR SINGLE USER SECEURITY PROBLEM
=====================================
To prevent users from booting in  LINUX SINGLE from
lilo prompt
add the following lines at the end of rc.sysinit in
the /etc/rc.d dir of
Redhat Linux.

if grep -i single /proc/cmdline >/dev/null ; then
	sulogin
	init 5
fi
This should work for redhat and on LINUX single U will
be prompted
for root passwd failing which it boots to init 5.
Dont forget to change CMOS setting to boot only from
HDD and
set a CMOS passed.
In case of a different distribution add these lines to
the first
script executed by init.

U can still access a shell by typing "LINUX
init=/bin/sh" at LILO Prompt.
to prevent this open /etc/lilo.conf and add the line

image = /boot/vmlinuz
  label = linux
  vga = normal
  password=yourpass

  where yourpass is the password.

  makesure lilo.conf is readable only by root.
  i.e. chmod 600 /etc/lilo.conf
after all this type lilo at shell prompt.
but this again is a problem in a student lab as the
instructor has to
type the password everytime a work station is started
or restarted.