RE: [LI] Dynamic DNS?

*******  This posting is horribly long so those who are NOT interested please
send me a personal email.  If there is some sense I will post a condensed
version for the benefit of others on the list. ********

a) Authentication is terminal based.  Others forms of authentication do not
work.  Mantra assumes that everybody is using Win95 or 98 or NT!!
b) There is really no error.  /var/log/messages reports that the connection is
valid.  When I have inactivity on the modem I tried pinging my own ISP's
host(mantraonline) and it gives 30% packet loss.  Other hosts (like
linux-india.org or hotmail or freshmeat) gives 100% packet loss!  The modem
remains connected but there is no activity; Netscape status bar shows stall.
I can't waste precious rupees waiting for eternity, you know.

I did read the PPP, DNS, and other howto's before I posted this email.  Linux
does support dynamic hosts.  What I am confused about is the logic behind the
nameserver part.  If I am connected to mantraonline then the DNS on that
server ought to handle name serving, routing etc. (via VSNL, of course).  What
I am concerned about is that if these guys are plugging in servers manually
(or some such hardware glitch) then obviously we would stall.  This used to
happen in the early days of VSNL too.  Mantra is using Unix (they don't want
to tell me which version, flavour), BTW, so my reaction is that this is a
human introduced problem.  If we can solve it I wouldn't mind telling Mantra
how to solve it!!  THAT is the whole exercise of Open Source Software.

With all these problems I couldn't access the archives on linux-india so
forgive me if I am trying the patience of you folks.

RKA