[LI] Network interface

Hi,

I have problem with my network interface.

Heres what happens when I try to telnet to my own machine:
Trying 127.0.0.1...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Network is unreachable

I tracked down to problem to my loopback interface, from one of the
HOWTO's. Now everything works fine if I give the commands:
root# ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
root# route add -host 127.0.0.1 lo

What do they do? How do I make these changes permanent? Is there any conf
file that can be directly edited??

Please help!
Sameer.