Re:[LI] configuring sendmail.

> I'm following the instructions given to setup sendmail/fetchmail as
> described in PCQ May 98. I want to use my standalone pc for  email.

Fine, but why all the changes below (to sendmail.cw  and
/etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail) ???

Here's a brief howto - (trimmed considerably from Mr.Prasad's howto on
http://linuxindia.virtualave.net and slightly modified)

1. Set yr DNS - in /etc/resolv.conf have

search vsnl.net.in
nameserver bom3.vsnl.net.in
nameserver bom3.vsnl.net.in

[here, put the two dns nos of bom3.vsnl.net.in - like you used to set up
in Dial Up Networking in Win 95)

In /etc/hosts - you can set your hostname to whatever you want instead of
localhost.localdomain

127.0.0.1	spavri.homepc.com	spavri

[for example]

The only changes to sendmail you have to make are to /etc/sendmail.cf -

Change the DS flag to bom3.vsnl.net.in (ip address best)

DS bom3.vsnl.net.in

Then change the DM flag to bom3.vsnl.net.in (to masquerade as
bom3.vsnl.net.in - use ONLY if you only use yr vsnl acct to send and
receive mail, and don't check other pop accts)

DM bom3.vsnl.net.in (or better, leave blank)

Then set the flag

o HoldExpensive=true (this queues mail on yr linux box)

These should be ok if you check your mail daily.  Or else you need to set
o timeout.queuewarn = 2d (if you check yr mail once in 2 days say).

To send mail which has queued up on yr linux box - when connected to the
internet, just give the command

# /usr/sbin/sendmail -q

No need to set anything else.

Oh yes, In PINE, leave the smtp server blank so it will use localhost as
default, and set the "sender domain" as bom3.vsnl.net.in (or vsnl.com).
Send mail only logged in as user spavri

To fetch mail from your mailservers - create a file .fetchmailrc and give
it permission 0710 (-rwx--x---).  Give the command fetchmail after pppd
has started and it will fetch all yr mail.

defaults
         forcecr
     poll 202.54.30.2 with proto POP3
         user foo with password "bar" is user suresh here
	fetchall
	poll mail.mypop.com with proto pop3
	user bar with password "baz" is user suresh here
	fetchall

you can also have set daemon 300 in this file (at the top) to automate
this (and fetch mail every 5 minutes or 300 seconds)

To automate fetching / sending mail - put this in /etc/ppp/ip-up.local

#! /bin/bash
fetchmail&
/usr/sbin/sendmail -q&
wait

this file will be owned by root and made executable by

chmod +x /etc/ppp/ip-up.local

You can also put set daemon 300 (to run it in the background and fetch
mail every 5 minutes)

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian     | CAUCE India
r.suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   | suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--
Real Users are afraid they'll break the machine -- but they're never
afraid to break your face.