Re: [LI] Re: problem with mgetty ....continues

>1. There was no entry created in /etc/mgetty*/login.config by your setup
>script- is it OK ,if yes then what takes care of that required
>/AutoPPP/..... command?
the script edits the /etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.config
# login.config
<snip>
#
/AutoPPP/ -  -  /usr/sbin/pppd auth -chap +pap login debug

#---- the script portion which edits the file to enable the command--#
<snip>

#-----edit the login.config file to enable autoppp

tmpfile=`mktemp /tmp/temp.XXXXXX`
cat $INSTROOTetc/mgetty+sendfax/login.config | while read md ; do
 case $md in
  */AutoPPP/*a_ppp*)
                  mf=`echo $md | awk -F# '{print $2}'|awk -F 'a_ppp' '{print
$1" - "$2}'`

   echo "$mf" >> $tmpfile
  ;;
  *)
   echo "$md" >> $tmpfile
  ;;
 esac
done
cp -f $INSTROOTetc/mgetty+sendfax/login.config
$INSTROOTetc/mgetty+sendfax/login.config.old
cat $tmpfile > $INSTROOTetc/mgetty+sendfax/login.config
rm -f $tmpfile

>2. Why this extra file options.ttyS0.in is needed  and why all three files
>options,options.ttyS0 & options.ttyS0.in have the same set of commands
>placed in them (I mean why do we need so files with same commands in them).

all three files are not same
options contain some thing like and options.in when in dialin mode

-detach
modem
lock
crtscts
asyncmap 0
netmask 255.255.255.0
proxyarp
ms-dns <dns server ip>

options.ttyS0 & options.ttyS0.in
# added by Dial in script by jthoma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
#<your server's hostname>:<The remote IP address>
ws1.digitel.net:192.168.1.250

this assigns the remote machine the ip address.

>3. Another basic doubt is that do I need to create a special user for dial
>up - I just created one by doing "adduser pankaj" and then created a passwd
>for it and used the name "pankaj" for my dialup connection from a win95
>machine.
any user can do

>4. The win95 machine also has a valid IP address on the LAN but when it is
>dialling into my Linux server (on the same LAN) I am assigning an IP
address
>of 192.168.0.2 to it - do you think that could be the source of trouble.
not sure, but check that by testing from a friend's machine.

>If you want I can send you the log extract from both the modems (if it can
>help) -i am not pasting it here to avoid wasting more bandwidth than what I
>have already done.
send me the relevant portions of the /var/log/messages [don't post it]