Re: [LI] Problem with mgetty.

>hi folks,
>Sorry for pasting a somewhat long output. I follwed the article of PC Quest
>Mar 99 " Configure your Linux server for access through a modem"by Vivek
>Kumar and Atul Chitnis and I am facing the follwing problems:
>A) At home after doing 'init q' to force the system to reread the
>'/etc/inittab file so that it can start mgetty with the options given
there.
>But it locks the modem and my ppp interface - there should be some way of
>manually stopping  mgetty to free the device for dialing out to ISP. I want
>to know what option to use with mgetty to disable it temporarily  - man &
>info pages were not of much help.

yur config is okay, and from win client, you dont require to give the
open_terminal_after_dialup option, cause, the setup outlined by Atul etal is
for pap authentication, so providing the user name and password in the
security window of windows dialup will enable u for a ppp connection.

actually mgetty is invoking pppd through AUTOppp/ -  - /usr/bin/pppd
auth -chap +pap login.

and pppd inturn invokes login with username and password as arguments, but
when u go and connect with terminal window, what u get is a shell account as
per the vsnl terminology.