Re: [LI]

Thus spake Manoj Victor Mathew

>But is there any advantage is using mail.satyam.net.in as Smart Relay
>Host? I mean, what if sendmail on your machine directly delivered mail?
>Can someone point out (dis)advantages?

One simple disadvantage - YOUR box gets to handle all the bounces, queues
mail etc.  Try sending a 500 kb attachment to a friend's hotmail acct, (or
worse - to an ernet account) and see the time it takes to deliver.  Also,
it may remain in your mail queue for days on end till flushed.

VSNL / Satyam etc smtp servers are 24x7 on the net, and have a much fatter
pipe to the net than your 56k (or 33.6k) dialup.

Another disadvantage - if your dialup provider does not have rDNS on his
ip pool (from which you are assigned a temp ip using DHCP) some people I
know (ever increasing number) are blocking all mails where the ip doesn't
resolve (no rdns) as such mails are usually spam.

In fact, a favorite spammer tactic is to run a smtp server on his desktop
and directly send mails through that (direct to MX spam - which runs open
relay abuse a close second in the number of spams sent).

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian     | CAUCE India
r.suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   | suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--
The less time planning, the more time programming.