Re: [LI] Mutt not Y2k compliant :.-(

Thus spake Manoj Victor Mathew:

> Here is a portion my Mutt index.

>   83     Feb 16 2036 23:55  bobby p rajan  ( 0.7K) mounting NTFSpartitions

> Date: 10 Jan 00 04:57:31 MST

^^^^^^^^^^

This is rather illegal, RFC wise.  So ~any~ MUA generating such
crappy date headers should take the blame, NOT Mutt.  I think pmail.net
does something similar.

OTOH, a header like

Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 09:11:44 -0500

is much more legal.  The timezone must be specified.  RFC 822 actually
specifies only two or three timezones (GMT, two others, and then the
military timezone, which is depreciated in later RFCs)

See ftp.sunet.se or http://faqs.org/rfcs for the full text of RFC 822

> So what does that mean? Mutt thinks  10 Jan 00  is  Feb 16 2036 :-(

> Any other suggestions? Or patches?

You don't need to do anything.  Whoever makes the mail client should make
a few changes.

> Visit the ILUG-Cochin home page at http://www.netshooter.com/ilug-cochin

... and after that visit the ILUG-Hyderabad page at
http://linuxindia.virtualave.net (coming soon - http://www.ilughyd.org )

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian     | CAUCE India
r.suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   | suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We all agree on the necessity of compromise.  We just
can't agree on when it's necessary to compromise.
	-- Larry Wall