Re: [LI] Modules ??

On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 04:22:24PM +0530, Syed Khader Vali wrote:
> This might look very silly as I am learning the
> kernel internals just now. Is it possible that
> I can create a module that works with any
> version of the kernel ( for 2.2.xx kernels and beyond ) without meddling with the kernel.
> How do I do it without changing the config
> options and recompiling the kernel if there is
> any chance of doing it ??
> Or I am thinking of something which is not
> possible at all ??

Theoretically possible, but not possible with Linux in its current state.
See the "Linux headed for a disaster" thread on LIG.

The main issue is that Linux doesn't have a well defined DDI/DKI and
is not likely to have one in the near future, because some Linux developers
have objections to the whole concept of portable binary modules.

	-Arun