[LI] MySQL problem

I am using pcq RH 5.2 Linux with mysql installed and running. (mysql was
taken from april 99 pcq). I am trying to connect to mysql from win98. I have
installed mysqlwinclients-3.22.8.zip in win98 from the same cd. There is an
utility MySqlManager.exe to connect from win98. I tried my best possible but
I cannot connect. However when I telnet from win98 pc I can use mysql within
linux. I can also use mysql from the linux box itself.

How do I connect to mysql using MySqlManager.exe ?
I think I might be making some mistake in the server registering:

for example, under register server,
Server: 192.9.200.2 (my linux box ip address)
Host: linux.tpl (my hostname)
port: 3306 (default)

Login information:
use standard security
Login ID: root
Password: psw

Once I am able to connect it would be easy for me to connect from vb, vc++
etc., I would also want to port all my backend apps from access to mysql.

I have bought a book 'MySql & mSQL' published by O'Reilly.

Mani. M