Re: [LI] configuring sendmail for a satyam connection

> Can anybody tell me how to configure sendmail(v 8.9) to send out
> mails using a satyam dial-up connection.

I just spent a lot of time convincing Satyam to close their open relays
and block nntp to outside servers (because of a huge spammer / hacker
problem they had which led to their being UDP'd and blocked from usenet).

> I get a message saying.....
> 553 To send mail, first check your mail with a valid POP account;

So simple - use fetchmail to check your satyam acct b4 running
/usr/sbin/sendmail (and keep the satyam entry at the end of the
.fetchmailrc file) - that is assuming that you have a valid satyam acct.

If you have an acct at another ISP, use their smtp server only and don't
use 3rd party smtp servers.  Set the following flags -

o HoldExpensive=true (to queue mails)

and

DS mail.satyam.net.in (to smarthost thru satyam)
DN mail.satyam.net.in (to masquerade as satyam)

or

leave DS and DN blank and set
FallbackMXHost=mail.satyam.net.in

so yr sendmail itself sends mail and hands it to satyam if it can't
deliver on the first attempt.

hth
--
Suresh Ramasubramanian     | CAUCE India
r.suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   | suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Debug is human, de-fix divine.