Re: [LI] making customize boot disk.

On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 05:01:19PM +0530, linuxfan@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I want to make a rescue disk with the SCSI support.
> As I have SCSI hard disk which works with AICxxxx module
> I had tried the pocket linux but that fails to detect the hard disk
> as it lacks support for the SCSI DISK.
> Is there any way to make a customize the boot disk for installing linux
> or to have a rescue disk like pocket linux So that I can add onlly those
> modules which are needed by my machine

In theory, as long as they are modules, you ought to be able to
add any of them after the fact, (like for example from a second
floppy).

If you're using RedHat there should be a command called
"mkbootdisk" that does almost what you want.

It's not really a "rescue" disk - it's a boot disk, but it may
still work for what you want.

Another alternative is to download either Tom's root/boot disk or
"MicroLinux".  I believe that both of them allow you to add
modules of your choice to supplemental floppies...not 100% sure,
though.

[Aside: for a hugely maximised version of a "rescue" disk, look at
my web page: http://www.dimensional.com/~sitaram/linux-live-cd ]