Re: [LI] Setting up a mail and webserver

Thus spake VaibhaV Sharma:

>But you know this setup is for a college and most probably the NIC access
>which they are bring given is a 64 Kbps vsat that too for free. I dont know
>the details but I am assuming things related to what I know about NIC.

Use this VSAT for connecting your LAN to the Internet - but don't take the
uucp feed even if you are given it for free.  Cost is one issue - but if
your box gets h4x0r3d (hacked <g>) b'cos you are out to save some cash -
it's your funeral :(

Stick to the external domain, and use the vsat like any isdn line - a
slightly high bandwidth pipe to the internet so your mails / web access is
fast.  For DNS and MX I'd still recommend an external server.

>down that college for this, the question here is of the attitude of the
>administration of the college.

They change their tune when a hacker goes after them.  Ask IIT Madras - a
spammer really screwed a box they had running sendmail 8.7 (RH 5.0) -
cello.cs.iitm.ernet.in

>we finally got a donation from an alumni batch) In the meantime we got a
>free NIC UUCP nodename.

So send mails as foo!bar!bang!path ???? That belongs to the age of the
dinosaurs and the 8080 PCs :)

Also, lots of people have the nouucp flag set in sendmail (some older
versions - 8.x etc - it was recommended for anti relaying reasons)

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian     | CAUCE India
r.suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   | suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx