Re: [LI] LILO protection (Atul please clarify)

On Sun, 2 Jan 2000, nitin gupta wrote:

>     Please clarify which fdisk are you talking about? Linux or DOS.
>     If it is linux then in any case making a boot floppy will be required. I
> use a different method. I have a floppy with loadlin on it. Whenever I
> install windows, all I have to do it use loadlin from the dos prompt to boot
> into linux, and run "lilo" to put my Lilo in place.

You can use any fdisk you want, but since at that point Windows is the OS
that boots, you can use the Windows/DOS fdisk.

Your loadlin method will work *only* if you copied your kernel onto the
Windows partition to begin with - with no guarantees that it is still
there after a Windows (re)install.

And if you have a floppy, then you might as well boot directly into your
Linux partition - just write LILO onto that floppy! No loadlin required!

Atul