Re: [LI] Attention: 3d card owners

--- skhader@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi there,
> Welcome to LI from ILUG-HYD! BTW why did it take you
> so long to
> jump on to LI  and spread your programming skills ??

I thought maybe i'm too premature to join this list...
;-)

> What happened to the game you were writing for Linux
> ??

Goin' on fine. We have the design docs, story line,
and the the API framework ready. We're using OpenGL
for the rendering pipeline, and Allegro, for the
keyboard, sound, etc. management routines, as we can
concurrently write multi-plat. code. We're using GLUT
too, and are planning to port it to freeglut, which is
released only today, as Mark has moved to NVIDIA and
stopped development on GLUT. The last ver. was 3.7,
which ships with the current Mesa source. freeglut
takes on where Mark left off and enhancing and adding
nuw features to GLUT. GLUT also helps us in making our
code truly portable, with minimum ramifications... ;-)

> And maybe you want to share something about that so
> that we can
> enhance the code !! What say ??
SURE! As soon as it gets a bit stable.

> Eagerly waiting for the game !!! ;-)
If anyone has played Homeworld, they'll know how our
game's gonna be. We're planning to combine RTS and
first person shooter into something tha'll blow up the
gamers screens... ;-) This idea was inspired from
Rainbow Six, the greatest game of all time, according
to me! :)

> ( A lazy question ) Does q3-demo run on S3-Trio3D
> AGP !!! ( Don't laugh !!

I had that card a few days ago. I threw it and got a
Banshee... 3dfx is a cult mann! I love 'em! They were
afterall the first to come out with Linux support, and
have all their code open source. Recently they broke
the 1G pixels/s barrier with their voodoo4 & 5. 'nuff
of advertisement for them. ;-) Coming to S3. There is
currently NO hardware support for OpenGL acceleration.
The Trio3D doesn't have ANY OpenGl support at all. All
it has is Direct3D support. U could run Q3A, in
windoze, using Scitech's DirectGL, which converts
OpenGL instructions into corresponding Direct3D
instr... but i dont think u have much use of it, in a
"PURE LINUX" system like u'rs ;-), unless some1 comes
out with a Direct3D wrapper for Linux... ;-) I was
planning to write one, but i got soooo sick of the
DirectX docs, that i just abandoned the idea. thazz M$
for u! ;-)

> I am not a hardcore gamer
> I only play 16 hours out of 24 hours , sleep is
> first priority  ;-)

I think u misspelled "sleep" in there! It's spelled
"Linux Computing" ! ;-)

> And that's what I call "Coming with a Bang ! " ;-)

As alwayz! ;-)

Nikhil.