Re: [LI] SiS 6326 / Samtron 55E

Hi,

   Just FYI: I am finally a getting good performance(1024x768, 16 bit) from
   SIS6326(4 MB)/Samtron 55E combination using the XF86_SVGA server after
   tweaking the/etc/X11/XF86Config file manually to enable accleration (After
   running Xconfigurator).

   The SIS6326 card supports XFree86 Accleration Architecture(XAA) but has
   font rendering problems with all the xservers that i tried - XF86_SVGA &
   XFCom_SIS from xsis.rpm.  After looking at the XF86_SVGA manpage I found
   that the option "xaa_no_color_exp" should be used to avoid hardware color
   expansion problem in acclerated mode.  Indeed, this option solved the
   problem of black bars appearing in place of text.

   The XFree86 site provides some information for using SIS cards -
   http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.3.1/SiS.html

   Here's some of the values that I have set -

# Monitor refresh rates. Note that these values should be
# specified according to what is given in the Monitor box/manual.
# The following values are specific to my monitor and may not
# work for you.
#
Section "Monitor"

    HorizSync   31.5 - 57.0
    VertRefresh 50-100
EndSection

# These are the values that need tweaking for optimum performance.
#
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]|86C326"
    VendorName  "Unknown"
    BoardName   "Unknown"
    VideoRam    4096
    # Option "no_accel" # Use this if acceleration is causing problems
    # Option "fifo_moderate"
    # Option "fifo_conserv"
    # Option "fifo_aggresive"
    Option "xaa_no_color_exp"
    Option "fast_vram"
    Option "pci_burst_on"
    Option "xaa_benchmark" # DON'T use with "ext_eng_queue" !!!
    # Option "ext_eng_queue" # Turbo-queue. This can cause drawing
                             # errors, but gives some accel
    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
EndSection

Hope this is useful.

Regards,
Moinak.