Re: [LI] Attention: 3d card owners

Hello

    I am back ....... with answers ..... (great this place is happening)

Shanker Balan wrote:

> >Yes they are all supported but the 3d part of those cards are not
> >utilised the rendering is done by software not hardware.
>
> To support my earlier comment about accelaration w/o GLX i quote from
> the README.mga file:
>
> <QUOTE>
> o Makes extensive use of the graphics accelerator.  This server is very
>   well accelerated, and is one of the fastest XFree86 X servers.
> </QUOTE>
>
> Any idea what accelaration we are talking here ??? Also, what happens if
> i run my Xserver with option "no_accel" ???

<<<< No Answers >>>>>  May be later

> > Just try running Quake 3 Arena Test on your G200 or G400 or whatever
> > and just try moving a 10 steps within 15 mins time, and you'll know it
> > that your card is not being utilised.
>
> I agree. Performance will be dreadfully slow because Q3A does not have
> svgalib or softX rendering! An OpenGL complaint card is a must. Which is
> one of the primary reason i want to get the G200.
>
> BTW: What's the fps on timedemo ?

Dont get G200 instead go for RIVA TNT2 it's far much better if you are
serious graphics coder or even gamer becaue it supports
Vesa/VBE  3.0, OpenGL, DirectX and is a better performer,,,,,, <<<i dont
know much on G200 but i have a friend who has swapped his G200
for TNT2

> > Since when did i talked about GL here i think it's written GLX
>
> IMHO, GLX,Mesa and DRI are all OpenGL implementations! It is called
> OpenGL as it has been made open source very recently by SGI.

I dont actually support you here because OpenGL is only the core library
which is system and platform independent and

GLX is used on Unix OpenGL implementations to manage interaction with the X
Window System and to encode OpenGL onto the X protocol stream for remote
rendering.

Mesa3D is the non official implementation of OpenGL on Linux and other
platforms by Brian Paul.

GLUT is the GL Utility Toolkit which is the system Indepentdent Windowing
API by Mark Kilgard

GLU is the OpenGL Utility Library. This is a set of functions to create
texture mipmaps from a base image, map coordinates between screen and object
space, and draw quadric surfaces and NURBS.

> > it a some kind of library which takes the control of rendering from X
> > libs and does the hardware rendering and put's it on the screen.
>
> GLX = OpenGL + X ( X on steroids ;))
> How can it be called hardware rendering if GLX does all the rendering?
> The rendering is done by the OpenGL complaint card!
>
> Now with GLX, an application can either use the mesagl libs or the
> Xserver GLX API.

<<<< No Answers >>>>> but something fishy because i have to use Mesa libs in
any case because a OpenGL program on Linux cant function withought using
Mesa3D libs and secondly it

Mesa3D not MesaGL ((((((IMPORTANT)))))))))

> >(it a extension and a part of GL )
>
> Is it an extension or is it an implementation of OpenGL,like mesa?

It's an extension ......
http://www.opengl.org/Documentation/GLX.html?GLX#first_hit

> > nOw you are getting it !!! it's GLX.
>
> Hmmm... If i were referring to X + OpenGL it should be called GLX. If it
> is quake, i would referre to it as mesaGL. Why??? Mesa is what the Quake
> engines (Q1,Q2 and Q3A) use and not GLX.

Nope I can render scenes with Mesa3d on X withought using GLX ..............

> GLX,mesa and DRI are just implementations of SGI's OpenGL technology. If
> it were not for OpenGL there would only be DirectX <groan> !!!
>
> This has been a very interesting thread. Looking forward to your
> comments!

Yup 1!!! this thread has been a interesting one......

waiting to be corrected