RE: [LI] Attention: 3d card owners

>Just want to get some things cleared!

>> After searching the net and chat rooms for some more time i found out
>> that 3d cards are not supported by XFree86 Version 3.x and the soon
>> coming XFree86 Ver 4.x will be supporting it.

>Not true! Matrox G200/G400 is supported by servers from XFree86 so are
>other quality cards for which programming specs are available.

Yes they are all supported but the 3d part of those cards are not utilised
the rendering is done by software not hardware.

Just try running Quake 3 Arena Test on your G200 or G400 or whatever and
just
try moving a 10 steps within 15 mins time, and you'll know it that your card
is
not being utilised.

Or try installing Mesa and run any demo of it (animation) in full screen
mode
and you'll know that your card's capabilities are not being utilised.

>>(by that time my TNT2 will be obselete he he he)

>I find it hard to agree! What is the logic in ur conclusion or u just
>being sarcastic ??? Take for instance the G200, it has been around for
>more that 16 months and is still going strong(and has become more
>affordable).

dont you get it (he he he) it was a joke ;)

>> then i tried to get into the CVS of XFree86 and found out
>> that Hardware GLX can be loaded with the current ver of XFree86 3.x
>> which will boos the performance of X rendering by 100%.

>AFAIK, GL is a multiplatform graphics API! Unless the application itself
>supports OpenGL, u will not get any performance benefits. Arun ???

Since when did i talked about GL here i think it's written GLX it a some
kind of library which takes the control of rendering from X libs and does
the hardware rendering and put's it on the screen. (it a extension and
a part of GL )

>> Here i was not writing the complete HOW-TO so if anybody need some help
>> contact me personally. I'll surely help you installing your GLX...

>GLX or is it OpenGL ???

nOw you are getting it !!! it's GLX.

--
So little time, So much to do