Re: [LI] where to install aplications

On Tue, Dec 28, 1999 at 09:24:49PM -0800, Dogpile ping wrote:

> in windows if we install software we do it in program
> files. similarly where do U install applications while
> logged in as root. which folder and what is the path
> to be setup or what file permissins are to be given to
> users so taht they cah use application

As someone else said, if you are installing an RPM it's pretty
straightforward; the rpm install takes all the guesswork out.

If you are installing a piece of software from scratch, you are
either doing it from the sources, or from pre-compiled binaries.

Sources: usually there will be a configure script that will take
care of everything (there will be reasonable defaults) including
permissions, etc.  The only requirement usually is that the actual
"make install" (last step) be done as root.

Binaries: If you have a pre-compiled binary archive, there should
be a README file somewhere that tells you where to put the binary.

If that is also not true, then you have a choice.  Most normal
users have /usr/local/bin as well as /usr/bin in their PATHs, so
the normal thing is to put it in /usr/local/bin.

If, apart from the binary, there are other configuration files
that need to put in various places, thene there had better be a
README or INSTALL or some such file telling you more :-)

Hope this helps.