[LI] uninturrupted server

This is new! I want to convert my Linux machine into a server. But this
time I am most worried about the power supply part... The machine has
an Eagle SMPS [250 watts] house in an MTek cabinet. I want to use a UPS
so that this machine can be a 24 hrs live monster sitting in my place.

What changes do I need to make in addition to buying a quality UPS?

When the UPS is low on power, is there a way to let the machine know of
it so that the files/setup are saved well in time before it is 'lights
out'
for the machine? I think there is a way.. will it need a power supply
equipped with some special software interface or some [not so]special
ports
[and their assignment in Linux] will have to be connected?

Please guide. Please also recommend the brands of UPSs and if possible,
the costs.
I request those who are already running servers etc to please extend
their experiences.

Regards,
Rohit