[LI] Filename star

I have noticied a meta character named file in the root's home directory and another user's
home directory. They were created on December 23rd. The file ownership permissions are
perfectly normal. The dreaded meta-character is '*'.

To remove this I did,

$ rm -i *

and got rid of it. I cannot imagine doing,

$ rm *

I don't know how this file got created. What is the best way to trace the creation
of such files? I want to know the process that is creating it. External login is impossible
to this box. It has to be one of the several tools I have downloaded and compiled.
How do you search for files, with meta characters as their names?

Any tips, ideas and experiences appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Subba Rao
subb3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://pws.prserv.net/truemax/

 => Time is relative. Here is a new way to look at time. <=
http://www.smcinnovations.com