Re: [LI] To run X

Well,
I quote this as an example of how Linux can make use of low end machines. I
recently did a Linux server Installation here in a company in Indore. The
machine is running RH5.2 from the PCQ CD.

The company is using this server for

* giving mail ID's to all employees with one multidrop pop3 account on the
internet
* both IMAP and POP3 enabled
* Dialing to the Internet using kppp and then sharing the Internet
Connection
* Internal Web server
* Internal FTP and News Server
* Caching DNS Server
* Dial In server

It works fine and without a glitch.
The machine configuration is

* 486 DX2 66 Mhz
* 16 MB Ram (recently upgraded to 32 MB)
* 640 MB Hdd
* Monochrome Monitor
* an NE2000 Compatible Adapter
etc
etc

a few days back there was some problem with the ram in the machine which
dropped the Ram to 8 MB
we traced the silly problem after 2 days. In these 2 days the machine was
close to usable and the response time was horrible but it worked fine....and
inspite of the load it never crashed.

VaibhaV Sharma
Indian Linux Users Group Indore Chapter

Jab gaon mein pachas-pachas network hop door baccha kisi Software ka crack
mangta hai to uski maa kehati hai, `So jaa, bete, so jaa, nahin to Nasscom
se Dewang Mehta aa jayega'.

Thats why folks, Join the free software Revolution. Use Linux.