Re: [LI] SiS 6326 / Samtron 55E

Hi Arun,

   I have the same display config as yourself - SIS 6326 (but 4 MB RAM)
   and Samtron 55E.  I also faced problems but was able to manually
   configure it (no probing) and run it at 1024x768/65536 colors in RH 6.1.

   For the monitor you will have to select "Custom" config in "Xconfigurator"
   and set the values yourself, don't use probing.  The monitor types 5E and
   55E are very different although they sound similar. The refresh rates are
   printed on the Monitor cardboard box -- I don't have the settings I
   configured, right now  (I am in Office) but will get it for you later.
   You should select Non-Interlaced SVGA for monitor type.

   The dialog box text appearing as black went away after I did a custom
   config, but still GNOME-terminal & rxvt didn't display text properly -
   black strips were displayed.  Finally I got them to work using the
   Adobe-Courier font.  In GNOME-Terminal I set the font in the preferences.
   For rxvt I added a new Launcher in the Panel and set the command to exec
   as "rxvt -fn -adobe-courier ...". I set the "-fn" value from the GNOME-
   terminal font settings.

   There is an SIS X-Server in the SUSE distribution available as an rpm
   in the December PCQ CD. You try using that instead of the default XF86_SVGA
   server, although I didn't have much success with it. Hope this is useful.

Regards,
Moinak.