Re: [LI] [Fwd: Weird problem with X (I think due to xauth)]

> Hi - I have redhat 6.1 PCQ with the infamous sis6215c card :-)  I can
> configure X using the no_accel, no_bitblt etc flags.  However, X
> forcibly
> kills itself and does not die gracefully.  It says something about not
> being able to remove a temp file.

>From /tmp, remove .X* files and see if there is anything left. Then kill
those too.

> Then - every few days - the X crashes and I have to go back to
> XConfigurator.

Use XF86Setup. Much better. And generated a not too well commented
configuration
file. Which I find cool to tweak with. In XF86Setup, go for detailed
setup
of the card, tick your chipset etc properly. Run on 640x480 to start
with,
at 8 bit depth.  Choose monitor 'custom' and use the specifications of
your
monitor. Choose startup mode as 640x480 at 8 bit. Just, for once, get
your
Xsrver running. After that, you may need to re-run XF86Setup.. always
use
the existing configfile to load the values. Safe way to go. And you will
know
twealing what has what effect.

It is simple to do. Also, READ the readme file for 'graphic cards'. The
setup has a button called 'read readme file' ? You can use that..

It can be done. Keep up the enthu. If I can do it, you can too.