[LI] Keyboard and mouse problems please help

hello guys
i have a problem. hwn i run redhatlinux in command
mode i.e without starting x then key boaard works fine
. the minute i start x server the key board is dead
and no longer responds . same is the case with mouse
 i am leterally trying every thing from re installind
to all sorts of manipulations please advise me onhow
to proceed. i choose a us compatiable key board and a
generic mouse.
please let me know what the problem could be
thanks
Ashok