[LI] Free Shell Providers

Came across a list of free telnet accounts - various unixes.  Thought
I'd send it across (those I have accts on, I've added an extra line or
two)

Linux -

Spunge.org - RH 5.1 box on a 33.6 modem - but almost completely
uncrippled.  Offers goodies like zicq and netris (tetris on linux) - and
is a LDP mirror.  (see http://www.spunge.org for more)

symonds.net - mail inbox@xxxxxxxxxxx with yr preferred username
and passwd.  Wait patiently for a reply.  Debian.  Ravikant Rao
seems to like it - I'm still waiting for a reply so can't comment  :-)

Other *nix -

Hobbiton.org - BSD - pretty good, got a better connection and
upgraded h/w now, so fast.  Bonus - full of Tolkien fans <g> Telnet
in and login as newuser

nether.net : Pretty complete shell, though slow.  It comes with three
megs of diskspace. Telnet in, and log in as newuser.  - solaris (with
8.9.3 sendmail - not an open relay) - also good.

m-net.arbornet.org - Rubbish if you just want a shell (crippled BSD).
 Lynx, FTP, Telnet disabled.  Basically a community network for the
people of Ann Arbor, MI (which also happens to offer free telnet
accts)

sdf.lonestar.org : Little freenet type operation. Telnet in, and get an
account. Unfortunately,. things such as FTP and Telnet are disabled,
making it pretty useless.  - bsd.  Lousier than arbornet

grex.cyberspace.org - extremely restricted accounts. (crippled,
ancient unix - open relay sendmail 8.6 - so avoid it) As the name
suggests (grex - latin for "flock" - from which you get words like
"Gregarious" and "Congregation") it is a community net rather than
a unix shell.

Don't know abt these below - check them out too.

nyx.net You have to snail-mail them. Not allowed much diskspace.
Nyx btw is the Greek goddess of the night, who begat Moros and
Thanatos (sleep and death)

suburbia.net The sysadmin wrote a UNIX network-scanner, 'Strobe'.

Ashpool.com You have to provide a 100 word essay on why you
should have an account here.  - dunno

Suresh Ramasubramanian | suresh@xxxxxxxxxxx
106D, Aditya Enclave, Ameerpet, Hyderabad 500038, India
Phone: +(91-40)3736553/3745398 | eFax: +(1-603)590-5437
http://www.kcircle.com | http://www2.angen.net/~pegasus
    The safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope,
    soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without
    milestones, without signposts.
         -- C.S. Lewis