Re: [ Offline ] Re: [LI] Yamaha YMF724

>| linux fan, i find it extremely difficult to convince them to use linux.
My
>| friends by the way are not power users. In the sense, networking,...
>smtp...
>| dns... etc.. means a very little to them. I just can't tell them that
>linux
>| can handle all these stuff cooly. They are the end users who use pC
>| for Fun. ( Music, Games, Chat... etc).
>

>Hi Arjun,
>    Here are a few things I have noted while trying to convert people.
>Please note that this is not a flame
>
>1. Most of them are using pirated copies of Windows let alone the
>    Software running on it.
>2. While buying PC they do not bother to see the specs just the price.
>    This is after PCQuest  comes part specs their cost etc in Products
>    Annual.
>3. These people face problems even with windows because of badly
>     written drivers for cheap hardware.
>
>4. Best way to convert these people is to find a cheap and decent quality
>    hardware for them. But first they have to believe that piracy is not
>legal.
>    The overall Linux cost benefits are too high.

some other points (which I found useful)
1. Illegal operations                        Windows got it
Linux no
2. Registry corruption                    Windows cannot do with out it
never heard of this prob
3. Defragmentation of swap         heavy and affects system perf        swap
is a drive which fresh on each session
4. Cluster utilization                        4k with fat32 and 32k with
fat16    1k to 4k per inode
5. services                                        poor
unlimited

skim thru the jpeg cards i have souped up at digitel.webjump.com/cards.htm
and find the suitable ones to emphasise ur points.